Ząbkowice Śląskie Print


Ząbkowice Śląskie are located on Sudetes Foothills at the Budzówka River which is the left tributary of the Nysa Kłodzka River. It is situated on the level of 280 m above sea level and it is a capital of Ząbkowice district which extends between the Bardzkie Mountains, the Sowie Mountains, the Złote Mountains and the Niemcza-Strzeliń Hills. It is crossed by the Nysa Kłodzka River.

Ząbkowice Śląskie were established in the second half of the 13th century near a Slavic fair settlement named Sadlno, known as early as in 1207, which was a point on the trade route connecting directly Silesia with Czech, namely, the Amber Road. In 1298 the town was granted first privileges: the right to store salt and lead as well as the right of mile (privilege according to which all fairs, storages, bakeries, taverns, etc. located within a mile from the town must have been the property of the town). Moreover, it was surrounded with a stone curtain wall. At the beginning of the 14th century, the first Town Hall of stone was constructed, surrounded by arcades and numerous stalls and apart from that, a fortified castle was built. In 1428 the town was ransacked by the Hussites who burnt down a part of the buildings comprising the parish church and the Dominican church. They severely damaged the town walls but did not manage to conquer the castle. On their way to Wrocław in 1468, the Hungarian army plundered and destroyed Ząbkowice Śląskie. Nonetheless, the most tragic results were brought to Ząbkowice Śląskie by the next war: the Thirty Years' War. The town, rebuilt in the 16th century after repeated marches of the Empire troops and the Swedish forces, again got plundered and demolished. As a result of the siege and numerous fires, only about 100 houses were suitable to be inhabited. April 1858 was the month of enormous conflagration in which the majority of buildings in the old, historic part was destroyed. The Renaissance Town Hall burnt down while the parish church and the campanile were severely damaged. Merely three houses endured the disaster. The end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century were periods of economic boom. First small industrial facilities were created – a furniture factory, a hats manufacturing company, present railway lines and necessary municipal equipment.


– Leaning Tower
– Ruins of the Renaissance castle
– the Józef Glabiszewski Chamber of Regional Souvenirs
– 15th century St. Anne's Church
– Exaltation of the Holy Cross Church and formerly Dominican Monastery
– St. Jadwiga's Church – St. George's Church – Orthodox Parish
– Town walls
– Neo-Gothic Town Hall