Polish (Poland)Čeština (Česká republika)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)English (United Kingdom)
Stare Mesto PDF Print E-mail



There are eight communes in the Czech Republic which are called Staré Město, however, only one of them is surrounded by a mountain range, namely, Staré Město pod Sněžníkem. The dominating element of the area is the Śnieżnik Mountain Massif of 1425 m above sea level, the crests of which may well be compared to the nearby ridge of the Czech Jeseníki as far as their wild, romantic nature, steepness of slopes and height is concerned. To the north the commune is bordered with the Stronie Śląskie Commune in Poland.

Staré Město was mentioned for the first time in 1325 when Jan Wüstehube alloted the place along with adjacent areas to the Cistercians from Kamieniec Ząbkowicki. In 1336 Emperor Charles IV granted mining rights and with coat of arms to the town. Gold, silver and iron ore were mined in the nearby mountains. Staré Město had remained a mining town until the 17th century. In the 17th century, during the Thirty-Years' War, half of the town was burnt by the Swedish army. The 18th century was the commencement of a better period in the town's history when the Lichtenstein family from Kolštejn became its proprietors. It was them who developed weaving industry as well as forest management and farming. In the 19th and 20th century Staré Město began to develop its tourist and recreational functions.

Staré Město today is a perfectly prepared winter sports centre. Ski lifts in the commune are located in the following villages: Hynčice, Kunčice, Stříbrnice, Staré Vrbno and in Staré Město itself – a total number of 15 lifts which amount to aggregate length of 10 km. Ski touring and cross-country skiing are popular as well. The commune possesses perfectly prepared footpaths and cycling routes. There are two horse centres in Staré Město: the Černý kůň horse riding centre and a horse breeding centre.
The following sights should be distinguished from among interesting monuments of Staré Město:
– St. Anne's Church of 1618
– Town Hall of early Baroque of 1680
– Tenement houses on the main square
– Regional Museum
– Complexes of military fortifications of 1937 – 38


Page 10 of 11