Polish (Poland)Čeština (Česká republika)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)English (United Kingdom)
Międzylesie PDF Print E-mail


MIĘDZYLESIE


Location

Międzylesie is located on the Kłodzko Land, in the south part of the so-called Upper Nysa River Ditch, and more precisely in the centre of Międzylesie Low Plateau. To the west, Międzylesie is surrounded by the Bystrzyckie Mountains, and to the east – the Śnieżnik Mountain Massif.

History

Międzylesie was granted the town privilege as early as before 1249. In 1428 the town was almost completely demolished by the Hussite army. 1643 was the year of the great fire which was endured by ten houses only. After the Thirty-Year War, due to its location at the Morava high road, the town started to develop and its wealth increased. The development of linen weaving contributed to the successful development of Międzylesie as well. In the period of Silesian wars, the town changes hands which brought significant losses to the residents. The years after 1807 were Międzylesie's golden period of development while the significance of commercial and weaving activities increased. The great flood of 1827 devastated 100 houses, 61 people lost their lives. A school was established in 1846, whereas another hospital – in 1889 (the first one was build in the 15th century). In 1877 Międzylesie was connected with Bystrzyca Kłodzka with a railway line. At the end of the 19th century the main seat of customs house in the Kłodzko County was established in Międzylesie. A post office was set in 1890. At that time there was also a sawmill, seven tobacco plants, a concrete factory, as well as tiles and curtains making companies – these facilities were demolished during World War II.

Monuments

The majority of the town monuments of Międzylesie are historic sites, located on the Municipal Tourist Route. The most important ones are as follows;
– a house of weavers dated as the end of the 18th century
– 18th century arcades
– 17th century palace and castle in Międzylesie
– 17th century Corpus Christi Church
– St. Barbara's Church from the 17th century
– 19th century railway station buildings
– walking alley towards a place called “Three Servant-Maids”
As far as active tourism is concerned, the Międzylesie Commune offers a rich network of signposted footpaths and cycling routes.

Marianne's object
- THE FORMER PARISH HOUSE
Evangelical parish house, so-called “pastorówka” (“priest’s house”) built in 1893-1894 with the financial support from the owner of these lands, princess Marianna Orańska. Currently a public nursery school.
- SAINT MARTIN’S CHURCH
The Baroque shrine from 1706, after the fire in 1858 rebuilt in 1864 thanks to significant financial support from princess Marianna Orańska, the owner of these lands. The building was restored in 1978. Inside there are interesting furnishings  from the 16th – 19th centuries.
- THE FORMER EVANGELICAL CHURCH
An evangelical church from 1899-1900. It was erected after the death of its main funder - princess Marianna Orańska, but thanks to her financial support given to the church construction committee, set up in 1852 by the local evangelical community. After 1945 the church was abandoned, adapted as a gymnastic hall, presently it is a Roman catholic Corpus Christi Church.
- THE FORMER EVANGELICAL SCHOOL
The building funded by the owner of these lands, princess Marianna Orańska in 1865 as a school for children from evangelical families. After 1946 it was transformed into a dwelling house.
- THE FORMER ADMINISTRATION BUILDING OF ŚNIELINEK CASTLE
The late Baroque building from 1797, erected for the management of the properties connected with Śnielinek ( Szczerba) castle; since 1838 the possession of Marianna Orańska. The princess would stay there during her tours of inspection around her properties, which included, among others, seven forest districts.
- OUR LADY’S ASSUMPTION CHURCH
A shrine of great value, erected on the place of a former church between the years 1702-1725 according to Jacob Carove’s design, completed with some alterations in 1746-1751. Valuable furnishing represents Baroque and Rococo, including frescos by Joseph Bartsch and sculptures by Ignatz Klahr. In the years 1810-1958 in the shrine was a famous veil of the French queen Marie- Antoinette.

 


Page 7 of 11

feedback